Program - Departure from Cervinia
Pollux (4084 mt) is the second of the two Twins in the massif of Monte Rosa.
Compared to "Castor", which has an higher altitude (mt 4.221), the ascension is certainly more demanding.
We propose the departure from Cervinia as this is less exhausting than the classic from Val d'Ayas, the panorama along the route is better and lastly some delicate passages can be avoided.
1st day: I meet with the Alpine guide in the early afternoon at Cervinia. After a brief check on the material, you will take the cable car to reach Plateau Rosa and the Matterhorn Lodge Refuge where you will eat and drink.
Day 2: wake up early in the morning and after a good breakfast you will start your crossing of Verra Glacier, direction Breithorn. You will then head towards Breithorn Pass, to cross the glacier below the Black Gate (Schwarztor) and you will then reach the last passage on the southwest ridge.
The descent will be along the same ascent route.
You will get back at Rifugio Guide del Cervino around lunch time: you can rest for a moment and have a pasta and then take the cable car from Plateau Rosa back to Cervinia again.
Climbing time: 4 hours to go - 3.30 hours back to get to the shelter.
Recommended period: mid-June to mid-September
Mountaineering waterproof boots, ice axe, crampons, harness - backpack, water bottle, - mountaineering clothing, windbreaker, cap, gloves, socks and spare t-shirts - camera, front lamp, sunglasses, protective sun cream (30 mins) .
Missing technical equipment can be hired on request upon booking.
The price includes
• Assistance of a local and experienced mountain guide of our Team;
• Technical material for the group (rope, carabiners, nails, etc.);
• professional accident insurance for mountain rescue.
IMPORTANT insurance: we recommend in any case to have your own personal travel insurance, covering accident abroad and repatriation.
The price does not include
• Half-board treatment at the different huts for yourself and the guide;
• Transport to Gressoney (possibility of collective transport by minibus if required);
• Cable car tickets for yourself (Beccaforca);
• Crampons, harness and ice axe rental in case of need (it can be organized upon booking).